Why should you care about lead generation?
The question really is, can you afford not to? Without leads, your business will not survive. It’s that simple.
Lead generation is the process of attracting a person (that fits your ideal client profile) to your products or services with the belief that they will become your customers immediately or in the future.
My advice to you is to implement one or two of the 6 strategies below, get really serious about the strategies that you pick and put some time and energy into this. Plan a lead generation campaign that will produce serious results for your bottom line.
- Neighbour business partnership – build relationships with local businesses that offer products and services that don’t compete with yours. Host events for each other, promote each other’s special offers and directly refer business to each other. Your brand will benefit from this cross-promotion strategy through awareness, increasing your impact and bringing in new leads.
- Word of mouth: Give your clients a little something “extra” to talk about. Skip’s Kitchen is a great example. They offer free meals for those who pick a Joker from a deck of cards. This is a story worth telling.
- Good old snail mail with a new twist – Try a targeted mail-out with something unique. Create a handwritten letter with something lumpy – a tea bag or Hershey Kisses … who wouldn’t open that?
- Free publicity – Local media sources are always looking for new stories. Identify target media outlets, journalists (that your clientele reads and listens to). Research and write a well-crafted pitch that’s relevant to the readership.
- Low-cost newspaper ads – High schools and colleges offer low-cost advertising. You can also approach regular news printers and offer to buy any unsold advertising space they can’t sell for a reduced price. To find the right publications for your ads, consider the frequency of distribution, who their readers are and of course pricing.
- Speak on stage at events – Reach out to event organizers and offer your services as expert speaker. Even better, give all attendees a flyer with your landing page link on it, or simply add it to your presentation slides
Why Should you plan a lead generation campaign for your business?
Here are some elements of a successful lead generation campaign:
- Get clear on your target audience
- How are you going to reach them?
- What are you going to offer them?
- How and when will you follow up?
- Who will follow up?
- What metrics will you report? For example # of leads who opted in for newsletter
- What will you consider a success?
As with any strategy, it takes time to bear fruit, so don’t be too quick to move on to something more ‘fancy’. Learn the process, focus on (and record) the results and tweak what’s not working.
What I can tell you is that these strategies have made my clients – business owners and solopreneurs – money. And that is my hope for you too.
Free Download – 47 Lead Generation Hacks plus a Workable Marketing Strategy Template
by Wendy Fedoruk